- MARRIAGE PROBLEMS: 1. A couple in their 70s were in conflict about their sex life. Within two months they were satisfied...no pun intended. 2. A woman wanted to work out problems with her husband, but he wouldn't come to therapy. So I wrote him a letter, he attended therapy, and they worked out their problems.
- DEPRESSION: 1. A man sincerely believed that he was a "totally inadequate" person; his suffering was deep and intense. Within a year, I helped him discover and appreciate his value as a person. 2. A three year old child was emotionally flat, because her father left the home without telling her and never did come to see her. I worked with her one hour, mainly just encouraging her to do whatever she felt like doing. She brightened and her good mood never left her. Kids are amazingly resilient with just a bit of help.
- EATING DISORDERS: 1. A twenty something model was keeping her slim figure by throwing up her food. In six session, I enabled her to get free of this debilitating practice, mostly by showing her that her parents were not at all receptive to her pleas to be understood. (I can explain if you're interested.) 2. I 45 year old woman with a twenty year history of bulimia and anorexia had tried many therapists, workshops, and programs on CDs. I helped her find her value as a person. That's what solved the eating disorder.
- DRUG/ALCOHOL PROBLEMS: 1. A 40 year old man had three DUIs, had to wear a GPS, and spent weeks in jail. I encouraged him to go to AA, but he had been thrown out of two AA-based treatment centers, because he cursed at the staff and other patients too much. Within six months, he quit drinking to excess and has been sober for 30 years, mainly because we discovered what he was afraid of and helped him come to terms with it. 2. A 20 year old college student was using so much meth that he had thick purple stripes under his eyes. He had no enthusiasm for the life he thought he should have. I helped him find his passion, and he now is a feature story reporter at a TV station and has been for the past 10 years.
- TEEN PROBLEMS: 1. A 16 year old boy has been to four therapists, because he was lost in drugs, hated his parents, had no good friends, flunked out of school.... I worked with him and his parents to help him realize that he was almost completely ashamed of himself for every part of his life. His parents and I helped him see through his shaming thoughts and thereby gain relief from them. He now is attending college. 2. A 14 year old girl was lonely and engaged in dangerous behavior. She would get up in the middle of the night and run all over town. I helped her mother and her understand that her loneliness was driving her to distraction. Just knowing that and then feeling for her enabled her to not only stop her dangerous behaviors but also begin to connect with other kids.
- PHOBIAS: 1. A man in his 40s had so many so-called irrational fears that he had to be hospitalized, and he refused to take the prescribed psychiatric medication...he was afraid of it. I brought him to my office, and he took a quarter of one low-dose pill. He ha a full blown panic attack, my brief words completely stopped the attack. And he finished taking the medication. 2. A tour guide was terrified of walking in crowds, which made her chosen work excruciating. While on tour with her, I helped her see how understandable were her fears, and she immediately relaxed.
Other types of successes: infertility struggles, adoption problems, LGBT issues, bi-polar and other psychoses, and more